TRACTOR/TRAILER ACCIDENT LAWS
Our Kansas City / Missouri Truck Accident Attorneys Offer Dedicated Help
Commercial truck drivers who drive vehicles that weigh 10,000 pounds or more face different regulations than passenger vehicle drivers. This is with good reason, as the sheer size and weight of these trucks can cause catastrophic damage and severe permanent injuries.
When a truck driver or trucking company violates these regulations causing an accident, injured parties may be entitled to compensation. At Adler & Manson, our Kansas City truck accident attorneys have extensive experience with these complex claims, and understand how to get the maximum possible recovery on your behalf. When you hire our firm, you are choosing a dedicated, highly skilled attorney who will fight tirelessly for your interests.
Laws Regulating Semitrucks, 18-Wheelers, & Big Rigs
Because trucks cross state lines, the most significant laws and regulations governing the safe operation of tractor-trailer trucks are set by the federal government. However, both Missouri and Kansas also have their own trucking regulations governing maintenance, securing loads, and truck routes.
Federal regulations require trucking companies to:
- Take steps to rectify any unsafe truck conditions detected in inspections
- Meet minimum insurance coverage standards
- Ensure that drivers are at least 21 years old, able to understand simple conversations in English and read traffic signs, and have a valid commercial driver’s license (CDL)
- Prohibit alcohol and drug consumption while driving
- Submit to inspections
- Properly maintain equipment
- Comply with regulations governing hazardous materials
- Ensure that drivers submit to periodic drug testing, maintain up-to-date logbooks and drive no more than 11 hours after 10 hours of consecutive off-duty hours
- Perform frequent inspections and repairs on all truck equipment and parts
- Thoroughly examine lights, reflectors, mirrors, and windshields during inspections.
Truck Accident Attorneys Serving Kansas City
At Adler & Manson, we vigorously represent every truck accident case we take by carefully investigating each case, documenting negligence, and seeking results in settlement negotiations or at trial. When we represent you, we will seek maximum compensation on your behalf. We understand how stressful the time following a serious accident can be, and we will gladly come to you if you’re unable to visit our firm.